Pages

Monday, January 3, 2011

New Year's Resolutions

I made a To-Do list yesterday and to my surprise I actually completed most of it with the exception of one very important thing...
  • Make new year's resolutions
Insert deep sigh.

Every year I try diligently to not only put deep thought into my new year's resolutions but also to stick to them. I think I kept meaning to make new year's resolutions last year but never truly put much thought to it. The lazy bone set in and it was just better to be left to idly slip through 2010 than to be accountable for something.

So the year two-thousand and ten came and went with not a whole lot to show for it, that is on my part at least. Jesus, of course, gets all of the glory for the plenitude of gifts that he bestowed upon me. I am humble enough to know that I would not have survived last year without his great mercy!
With that being said, I'm not deeply thinking about my new year's resolutions this year but deeply praying instead. I have become best friends with the Holy Spirit. I call upon him now even to answer some of the most trivial questions: such as "Lord, should I buy these hamburger buns or the other ones?" And believe it or not, he gives me a solid, "Yes" or "No" answer. Guess what that leaves? Very little room for my mistakes.

What I have learned from my past unaccomplished new year's resolutions is to try your best not to use the word(s) 'always', 'everyday', 'every week', etcetera, etcetera. This will keep you from failing the first week when your indolent body continues it's same repetitive path it is accustomed to.
My best suggestion is pick one or two things that you genuinely want to accomplish in a years time and stick to them. If cleaning all of your closets out and getting your house organized is a goal you've been wanting to achieve then make that your new year's resolution. I heard a DJ for the KLOVE Radio Station this morning state that her new year's resolution is to live a simpler life. Rather than spend all of her energy keeping up with current trends she is going to turn the TV off and read the Bible more often. That hit a place in my heart and I thought that a simpler life sounds right up my alley.

So that is my new year's resolution (you were wondering if I was going to share, weren't you?). I'm going to find the simple things in life to enjoy this year; pray, read the Bible, so much that my very being will absorb the living word, play more music (it's so relaxing to get lost in the notes and sounds of melodies), and write. I know, you're saying, but Angel, you tried that last year and you only wrote three completed short stories. My rebuttal is this: I spent so much of my time on things that I am not supposed to control that I lost track of the gifts that God has given me.

He has blessed me with the ability to write and to enjoy writing, and I owe him at minimal the inertia to actually use my talent. Where it will lead me... only our gracious God knows the answer to that.
And for my sanity - no deadlines! I have grown to detest that word and pray that someday God will provide me the simple life that allows me to live outside of time and all of it's contingencies.
I would love to know what your new year's resolutions are and look forward to praying for you as you accomplish all that God is laying on your hearts to attain.

God bless you,
Happy New Year!
Angel

1 comment:

  1. I was so excited to see a new blog post from you!! I've missed reading your writing.

    I didn't made easy, simple resolutions this year. Although, I do have to say, focusing on a more simple life really sounds beautiful. Think I need to throw that one in too. ; )

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete